- Interpreting coefficients
- Evaluating the regression model
- Comparing multiple regression models and choosing the best out of them
Please feel free to comment/suggest if I missed to mention one or more important points. Also, sorry for the typos.
Following are the key mathematical concepts/topics described later in this article:
- Statistical hypothesis testing
- Probability distributions
- Quantitative data analysis
Key Mathematics & Statistics Topics for Linear Regression Models
- Statistical Hypothesis Testing: One would need to understand concepts around with statistical hypothesis testing and the related topics. Following are some of the related topics that would be useful to understand for having better understanding of different machine learning techniques and related models created using those algorithm. Understanding following concepts is key to understanding the evaluation techniques for various machine learning models including linear regression, logistic regression etc.
- Null hypothesis, Alternate hypothesis
- Type I & Type II error
- Region of acceptance, Statistical significance, P-value
- Standard error
A good starting point could be Wikipedia page on statistical hypothesis testing There are multiple Youtube videos on hypothesis testing and the ones from Khan Academy (hypothesis testing) that could prove helpful in understanding these concepts.
- Probability Distributions: It would be good to understand the concepts around some of the following continuous probability distributions:
- Normal Distribution
- Student’s T-Distribution
- Quantitative Data Analysis: Following are some of the concepts that would be helpful in analysing the data when working with regression model:
- Mean, median, variance
- Quantiles concepts
- Plots: It would be good idea to understand nuances around some of the following plots which will come handy while working on regression models:
- Density plot
He has also authored the book, Building Web Apps with Spring 5 and Angular.
Latest posts by Ajitesh Kumar (see all)
- ML Models Confusion Matrix Explained with Examples - March 30, 2019
- Machine Learning Cheat sheet (Stanford) - March 23, 2019
- Machine Learning Models used in Facebook - March 3, 2019