AI has become such an integral part of our lives that it is important to hire professionals who can help create AI / machine learning products that will be used by many people. These AI product manager interview questions will give you insight into your candidate’s experience, skills, and industry knowledge so that you can get prepared in a better manner before appearing for your next interview as an AI product manager. Check out a detailed interview questions and answers with greater focus on machine learning topics.
Before getting into the list of interview questions, lets understand what can be the job description of an AI product manager.
How to become an AI Product Manager? Job Description
AI product managers are responsible for the development and success of AI products. They work closely with Machine Learning / AI engineers, data scientists, MLOps engineers, etc. to ensure that the products leveraging AI / machine learning models are meeting customer needs and are delivering business value. In order to be successful, AI product managers must have a strong understanding of machine learning / AI technology as well as the ability to think strategically about product development. They must also be able to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical teams.
AI product managers work with data scientist architects and data scientists to create prototypes, define value metrics, and set related leading and lagging KPIs. They also work with marketing and sales teams to promote and sell AI products. They also stay up-to-date on the latest AI advancements and trends so that they can design AI solutions in an innovative manner.
Interview Questions for AI Product Manager
- When did you decide to devote your career to product management?
- Did you get into AI / machine learning by chance or did you seek out the opportunity to develop it?
- How might artificial intelligence change the kind of products we make in the future? What does this mean for product managers?
- Have you ever felt like a robot is taking over your life with all these new devices and systems in place? What’s your biggest qualm with device automation in today’s world (e.g., Alexa)?
- What are some ways that machine learning can be applied to Product Management when it comes to dealing with customer feedback – such as forums, Twitter responses, etc.?
- How much knowledge should product managers have about how AI / machine learning works in order to effectively manage resources, timelines, and expectations of other team members involved in their projects?
- What are your responsibilities as a product manager when it comes down to developing applications that involve artificial intelligence (AI)?
- What do you think is the biggest benefit to using AI / machine learning for data analysis?
- What has been your experience with implementing efficient and accurate AI / machine-learning tools into product managerial efforts?
- Is it ever intimidating dealing with all of that extra data and information provided by these analytical tools?
- Do you think AI / machine learning will make the way we work as PMs obsolete in the future?
- Do you think AI / machine learning will help automate some of the work PMs do?
- What would a product manager with a robot brain be like?
- Has machine learning / AI been helpful in your career as a product manager?
- Is there an aspect of your job that you wish were automated by AI/ML more than anything else?
- Have you ever worked with a product that has machine learning built in?
- Do you think adding ML into products is worthwhile or do you believe that they are not relevant enough to warrant time/money from companies trying to enter the industry?
- What, or what haven’t you dabbled in machine learning for your current company?
- Do you know any books to recommend related to AI / machine learning?
- Does your company use ML for something other than NLP/Image Recognition?
- What are some challenges that come up relating to ML that might not be obvious?
- What are the challenges of Machine Learning for product managers?
- Have you experienced difficulty with data analysis or simulations that machine learning can solve?
- Do you think that machines will be able to do what was traditionally done by humans much more quickly, better, and cheaper than humans over time?
- What are your favorite machine learning tools?
- What are some examples of when you’ve done data mining to gather insights on your products?
- Do you think the implementation of machine learning / AI will change fundamentally in the coming years?
- How do you go about selecting business metrics for measuring performance of AI / ML models?
- What AI experience do you have? How does that make you a good AI product manager candidate for this position?
- How would the AI product team be organized for optimal efficiency and effectiveness in your company’s environment (e.g., matrix, functional)?
- Which AI product management methodologies do you like best and why (e.g., Agile, Waterfall)? Why not the other one(s)?
- How would AI product managers be held accountable for their work on an ongoing basis?
- Do AI product managers need knowledge of the business in order to make good AI decisions?
- What are some AI challenges that an AI product manager might face on a daily basis at work (e.g., identifying stakeholders for this team)?
- How can we tell whether AI product managers are effective?
- What AI skills and knowledge should a AI product manager have to be successful in this role?
- How would AI develop the AI / ML business case for our company’s leadership team
- What metrics do they need to understand about AI success that may not be obvious from their own perspectives as non-technical stakeholders or executives?