Following are the key points described later in this article:
- What is Modernizr?
- Why use Modernizr?
What is Modernizr?
Following are some good pages on Modernizr:
Why use Modernizr?
Following are some of the reasons why one would want to use Modernizr:
- Features’ Detection: Modernizr is very useful for detecting CSS3/HTML5 features support across different browsers which eventually helps web developers to plan on handling the features support with conditional CSS/JS code. Mind you that Modernizr just helps you to detect the browser-specific features support. You would still need to write the code for handling the features support. In past, I have often come across web developers not planning enough in design phase on how to support certain UI features that may not be supported across all the browsers. Often, it was caught during testing phase and developers have to do tweaks to fix the issues for feature to work consistently across the browsers. With advent of JQuery UI widgets, much of it got taken care by JQuery library and web developers life was made comfortable. However, with advent of HTML5/CSS3 features, and the fact that not everyone uses JQuery for everything, there arose a need on how to have consistent look and feel across different browsers while making use of HTML5/CSS3 features. This is where Modernizr helps. It helps you to write one or more rules and Modernizr makes it happen across multiple browsers with different versions.
- Design early in the game: With Modernizr, one could easily put some thought around designing UI elements early in the game and plan to write appropriate/conditional CSS/JS code blocks for consistent & .
- Greater traceability: The usage of Modernizr helps developers to have traceability of CSS/JS code blocks to support specific features based on browser support
- Easy to Debug & Fix: With Modernizr, it makes it easier for developers to debug in case of inconsistencies seen on browser and fix it appropriately.
- Top 10+ Mobile / Web App UI Mockup Tools - December 9, 2017
- Top 10 Startups Building Speech-to-text Conversion Solutions - December 8, 2017
- Key eCommerce Job Responsibilities for Back-office Staff - January 29, 2017