This blog represents my notes on how data is read and written from/to HDFS. Please feel free to suggest if it is done otherwise.
Following are steps using which clients retrieve data from HDFS:
- Clients ask Namenode for a file/data block
- Name-node returns data node information (ID) where the file/data blocks are located
- Client retrieves data directly from the data node.
Following are steps in which data is written to HDFS:
- Clients ask Name-node that they want to write one or more data blocks pertaining to a file.
- Name-node returns data nodes information to which these data blocks needs to be written
- Clients write each data block to the data nodes suggested.
- The data nodes then replicates the data block to other data nodes
- Informs Namenode about the write.
- Name-node commits EditLog
Following diagrams represents the data is read/written from/to HDFS.
Following depicts how files are written to HDFS.
Follow him on Twitter and Google+.
Latest posts by Ajitesh Kumar (see all)
- Top 6 Freelance Jobs Websites for 2016-2017 - January 23, 2017
- AngularJS, Angular-UI Router Hello World Starter App – Code Sample - January 22, 2017
- Microservices, Continuous Delivery & AWS Cloud – Part 1 - January 16, 2017